Monday, March 23, 2009

Time to burn your socks!

We were a day late for the actual festivities but we were in Annapolis, MD this weekend to celebrate the beginning of Spring. Annapolis is one of our favorite road trip destinations. We try to visit at least a half dozen times a year. My husband loves to sail and Annapolis is a big sailing town. One of our favorite Annapolis/Eastport rituals is the annual sock burning. On the Vernal Equinox, folks celebrate the arrival of Spring and honor the boat builders, the watermen, and the men and women who maintain the boats by removing their socks, building a bon fire, grabbing a libation of choice and tossing their socks into the fire. The thought is that you won't don socks again until the Fall. Here's the link to this year's event http://www.hometownannapolis.com/video/1237612036EastportBurningoftheSocks

Last year we held our own sock burning event in our backyard. We used a galvanzied bucket to contain our fire (we really didn't want to catch the woods on fire or explain to the fire department why we were burning our socks in the yard!) and burned 2 pairs of socks apiece. Our neighbors thought we had lost our minds - but I guess that isn't really anything new. :-) It really is great fun - especially if you are sick and tired of winter weather.

Happy Spring everyone - take off those socks!

1 comment:

Jane said...

What a great ritual! Wish I could have been there. I have a few pairs I'd like to burn.