Tuesday, March 3, 2009

And the lion roared!

Ortville sits right smack on top of this invisible magic line that determines whether we get snow vs ice (typically ice) or some sort of winter precipitation vs nothing (usually not much of anything). Once every 4 or 5 years we get hammered with a big snow or ice storm. I guess we were due - it had been a few years since we had been hit. On Sunday, March roared into Ortville like a lion with an needlepoint needle in his paw. Snow, high winds, ice, record low temperatures - well you get the picture. When all was said and done, we had 9 inches of snow on top of 1/2 inch of ice on the back deck. It was a heavy wet snow so all the trees/bushes/plants are bent over and groaning under the weight of the snow. Yes, it was lovely to look at and I enjoyed that day off from work BUT I am ready for it to be gone. In the city and counties surrounding Ortville, weather like this is a show stopper. Schools and businesses close, the roads are impassable, people forget how to drive and smash into each other, mail delivery and paper delivery isn't guaranteed, power fails, etc. If we had equipment to deal with all of this, it would be different, but we don't. You need a 4 wheel drive or front wheel drive vehicle to get into my neighborhood. Seriously! Snow plow - what's that? I know those of you that live in areas of the country where weather like this is normal are probably laughing at me. Yes, I am a sissy!

2 comments:

Front Range Stitcher said...

Well maybe I'm giggling just a little, but that snow does look cold! Impressive set of bird feeders though. A whole different topic. Here in Colorado we have had more wind than anything, it's a good thing I am well weighted (never thought I'd say that!) or I could be in OZ by now. 74 degrees in Denver yesterday, huh? Hope you're stitching up a storm, ahem.

Anonymous said...

Your high winds might explain our situation. The wind blew CO all the way to VA! When I left for work this morning it was 9'! That is just insane. As you can see, we live on the edge of the woods. I have a ton of birds and I try to feed them all. :-)