Thursday, January 8, 2009

Santa needed a bit of sparkle

I started the Dec. Kelly Clark Santa on January 3rd. There was alot of floss included with the canvas. I am not much of a floss kind of girl, so I decided to change things up. Anyone who knows me knows that I am all about the "bling" and the accessorizing. The more fun and funky the necklace, bracelet or scarf the happier I am. That spills over into my stitching. I don't think I have stitched anything in all of my years of needlepointing that didn't have some metallic or sparkly thread in it. December Santa will be no different. I immediately switched out the Splendor recommended for his underdress. I switched it to Neon Rays + (plus) #NP22. Someone once told me that if you are going to stitch with a glitzy thread, you should use a simple stitch. Since I use a lot of glitzy threads, I usually do alot of basketweaving. I changed the green border on his underdress to soft sheen Fyre Werks #FT27. The gold highlights are Kreinik #8 002HL. I also changed the belt buckle, shoe buckles and cross to Kreinik #16 202HL. I thought it would give them a bit more body and make them stand out more than the gold highlights in the underdress. The boots, belt, and toy bag are done in Mandarin Floss # M830. I don't know if the picture does the canvas justice, but it really looks pretty. Very sparkly and festive. I've ordered Vineyard Silk in the colorway called Lipstick for the outer robe. I will probably use a decorative stitch for that. I am not sure I like the one suggested in the stitch guide but will give it a chance. I've also ordered black Kreinik for the background. Again. I needed more sparkle. Okay, I'm off to stitch for awhile. Happy stitching everyone.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Looking good!! You're moving right along. I like the sparkly stuff, too!

Cyn said...

Hi Kelly,

He's looking quite cute and I like the sparkly stuff! :-)

Cynthia
Windy Meadow