As you know, I have had tough issues with my parents for quite awhile. I am happy to report that Mom has moved to her new home in the independent living section of her retirement community. We moved Dad to the same community two weeks ago - into their Health Care unit. Dad is adjusting to his new "apartment" and is getting to know his caregivers and therapists. We have tried to make it look as much like home as possible with some of the furniture from their house, plants and family pictures. He has a lovely view of a courtyard right outside his window. We've begun to explore the community by taking roll abouts in his wheelchair along the many sidewalks on the property's 10 acres. Today, I took him to the fabulous library that is in the main building. He read a week's worth of Wall Street Journals while I read my Kindle. It was a lovely outing on an overcast Sunday.
I am trying to take a few clues from nature and am beginning a cycle of renewed hope and anticipation. Now that Mom and Dad are settling in, I am finally able to start taking back my life. I've worked a bit in the yard, but still have a VERY long way to go. I have a deck full of flowers and veggies all ready to be planted into the flower beds and pots. Maybe I get them planted after work this week.
One of the things that really lifted my spirits this week was the reopening of my Farmer's Market. My CSA doesn't start for a couple more weeks, but the market is back up and running. I was there at 8 AM on Saturday morning. It was wonderful. Lots of hugs and smiles from the farmers and vendors who I had befriended last year. It was great to see everyone and to renew our friendships. It was also fabulous to see all the wonderful spring veggies and treats. I filled my market totes with all kinds of goodies and had a blast tonight incorporating them into a dinner that just shouted "IT'S SPRING!" The first thing I made was this lovely salad. It is made from PURPLE spinach, carrots, avocados and heirloom tomatoes. Only the spinach came from the market, but it was the background for all the other vibrant colors. I had to take a picture of it just so I could capture the colors. I think a needlepointed something would be fabulous in these colors - don't you? According to my farmer friend, the purple spinach is an heirloom variety. The camera doesn't do it justice. It is a deep eggplantey purple color and has great body and texture when eaten raw. If you cook it, it turns green like normal spinach. I have enough left for at least 4 more salads. Yeah.
The next thing I made was this frittata. I used fresh asparagus, free range eggs, parsley and "blue" goat cheese from the market. To that I added shallots and some grilled salmon left over from dinner earlier in the weekend. YUMMO! It was so good. It tasted just like spring. I had never tried "blue" goat cheese before but it was fabulous. It had the tang of blue cheese with the creaminess of the goat cheese.
I haven't started stitching again yet, but hope my spring renewal will get me back into the swing of that too. I have several fun new canvases to play with and some old friends in the WIP box that I want to get back to.
Thanks to all of you who have called and e-mailed me to check on me. I am doing better and I think I am on the upward swing. Thanks for sticking with me. I have been reading your blogs and have really enjoyed seeing what you are working on.

No comments:
Post a Comment