When MJ and I went on our road trip back in March, I picked up this great Ewe and I canvas. It just looks happy. I am a big fan of Ewe and I designs but I must admit I have trouble with their colors. This canvas grabbed my attention the minute I saw it, but I kept putting it down. I couldn't figure out what threads to pull for it. The blues and pinks were easy but I just kept getting stuck once I tried to branch out to the houses and the background. What could I use for that taupe background and more importantly did I even want to have a taupe background. I fretted and stewed as I walked around the shop. Finally, I asked for help from one of the shop employees. To my great joy, she validated that it was a fabulous canvas but that the background just wasn't working for her either. She asked if I was willing to take a leap of faith and then grinned at me. Sure - why not?! She walked over to the Vineyard Silk display and immediately pulled out a vibrant green called Shamrock. It is glorious! That set us up for vibrant pinks, bright robin's egg blue and then we really switched things up by making the houses off white with eggplant roofs. It is beautiful and will be a joy to stitch.
Her suggestions and the subsequent "pep" talk gave me permission to step out of the box and to use colors that I like. She told me that she got to a point that she didn't enjoy stitching anymore because she couldn't find canvases that she liked that fit her house and her personality. Then one day she had an epiphany. Just stitch those canvases with the colors I like. Give yourself permission to change it up.
Have you ever been in that situation? Do you give yourself permission to do what you want and color outside the lines with a different color crayon?

1 comment:
Hi Kelly,
Absolutely! Stitch it how you want!
For some reason, many in the needlepoint world, especially the painted canvas world, think they need to stitch using the "exact" colors that are painted. Snort... Do what you like as you are the one who is going to live with the finished project. :-)
Love the bright happy design!
Cynthia
Windy Meadow
By the way, I've been thinking of you and your family! Life has been so busy here once spring arrived and most of the snow disappeared that not only have I not been reading many blogs, I haven't been stitching! Oh, Noooooooooo.....
I'll email soon as hopefully things will start slowing down this week (she says with her fingers crossed). LOL!
Post a Comment