Friday, November 27, 2009

Happy Belated Thanksgiving

Happy Day after! I hope you all had a wonderful day with your family and your friends. Thanksgiving here in Ortville wasn't exactly what I had planned back in the early Fall when I ordered my fresh turkey. Life happens to all of us at some point in time and it helps us realize exactly what is important and what isn't. Yesterday, I counted many blessings and realized that I have many things to be thankful for. Let me share a few with you:

1. I am VERY thankful that my family could be together one more time and share a turkey dinner. While I never thought it would occur in a nursing home's dining room - it still was lovely. The food was good (surprise - surprise!) and the company was fantastic. Dad was able to go to the dining room and sit long enough to enjoy a full course of Thanksgiving goodies. I was thankful that my parents could share their 56th (married) Thanksgiving together. It brought tears to my eyes to see them together. My husband and I had the pleasure of seeing my Dad smile and laugh at a holiday meal again.

2. I am thankful that we were able to share a few minutes with Dad's room-mate and his family. While we had only known them for a week, it felt so natural to all gather in their room and visit like we had known each other for years. I am very thankful for the fact that Dad's room-mate was able to go HOME today after being in the nursing home for 5 months. He had suffered a major stroke in June and he had recovered enough to go home again. I wish them lots of good days and continued recovery. It just didn't seem right when I walked into Dad's room today and Mr. Tucker wasn't there. I miss him. He was a wonderfully gentle man. He and his family enriched my life in just a few short days.

3. I am thankful for the nurses and caregiving staff at the nursing home. My Dad is steadily improving and it is all because of them. They are wonderful, caring and talented folks. Many of them gave up their Thanksgiving day to be with my Dad instead of their own family. I will be forever grateful for their hugs, smiles and good care.

4. I am thankful for all of my family and friends. The calls, the text messages, the e-mails and the cards have kept me going during this tough time. Thank you!

5. I am thankful that my Mother has been able to survive this difficult time. 56 years is a lifetime of love and happiness and togetherness. She is a rock and I am so proud of her.

6. I am thankful for my dear husband. He has been my strength and my port in a storm. He has always known what I needed to get through the good times and the bad times. I love you too, honeybabe.

7. And last but not least - I am thankful for all of you. Even though I have never met most of you - you have been so supportive of me. Thanks, friends.

I hope to get back to some stitching in the next few days. Happy Thanksgiving and happy stitching everyone!

1 comment:

Cyn said...

Hi Kelly,

So glad to hear that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!

{{{Hugs}}}

Cynthia
Windy Meadow