Sunday, November 8, 2009

The good - the bad - and the ugly

All weekend the theme music from Clint Eastwood's movie, The Good, the Bad and Ugly, has been whistling through my head. It really defines my week.

The good -
1. Dad was released from the hospital and was sent to a rehab hospital on Thursday.
2. I've been able to stitch for about an hour each day with the aid of suggestions from the orthopedic surgeon and the wrist splint that he put me in. I've made some progress on the tooth fairy pillow.
3. I was able to work in my garden for a couple of hours yesterday and today. It was a glorious weather weekend here in Ortville.
4. I've had some wonderful e-mails and calls from many of you who read the few posts that come out of Ortville. I thank you with all my heart. Your interest in Dad and my hand injury is heartwarming.
5. The second lesson for the Mystery Canvas from Bedecked and Beadazzled arrived this week. Too Cute!

The bad --
1. Dad is not able to do much therapy due to severe pain in his back. We've been told that it is arthritis and that it will always hurt. He prefers to lay in the hospital bed all day and night because it is more comfortable. That will just make him weaker and give him less of a chance of becoming ambulatory again.
2. I will be wearing the wrist/hand splint for at least a month. I have a nerve study scheduled in a few weeks to determine if I pinched a nerve in my hand in addition to straining all the tendons and muscles.
3. I will not make the deadline for finishing the tooth fairy pillow. The baby isn't due until March. I am hoping that if I stitch for 30 minutes to an hour each night, I will be able to finish it by Thanksgiving.
4. The second lesson for the Mystery Class arrived and I haven't even put the canvas on stretcher bars yet. I am already 2 lessons behind! ARRR!

The ugly --
1. The wrist/hand splint is really ugly. It really is more like a soft sided cast with velcro tabs that allow me to take it on and off. I've tried to hide it under long sleeve shirts and jackets but it still is pretty obvious. Not exactly my idea of haute couture.
2. Have you ever stitched with a splint/soft cast on your wrist/hand? It is hard to do. My stitching technique is rather unorthodox.

Hope you all have a good beginning of the week. Stitch happy.

2 comments:

Cyn said...

Hi Kelly,

Okay, I'm coming down there to help you with your needle! Or I wish I could pop over for an evening to help out!

Glad to hear that your father is in rehab but you might need to encourage/bribe him to get up and out of bed. I'll be thinking of you all. {{{Hugs}}}

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Kelly said...

Thanks Cynthia! Come on down. I'd love to have you visit and stitch. Dad was bribed yesterday and it made a bit of difference with his afternoon therapy. Let's hope his motivation continues.