Sunday, May 17, 2009

Mojo restored & a finished item to prove it

My buddy, MJ, and I met yesterday morning for a chai sipping and stitching session. Forty five minutes and 2 empty chai cups later, we still weren't stitching. We had discussed and solved all the problems in our little corner of the world but there was no stitching going on. Finally we had to admit it. Our stitching mojo was no mo'. We both had projects that needed to be finished and absolutely NO motivation to stitch them. Our projects had been sitting in our stitching bags for weeks. Not good. So we did what all good friends do - we made a deal with each other. We agreed that we would stitch for 90 minutes non-stop and then we would go out to lunch. Amazing what the prospect of food will do for this girl. So we stitched and stitched and stitched. I was so happy to find that the more I stitched, the more I wanted to stitch. I even stitched some more last night. And guess what. If you actually sit in a chair and stitch for an extended period of time, you can FINISH a project. WOO and HOO! Day one of the Kelly Clark 12 Days of Christmas series is finished. FINALLY!!!! I don't know why it took me so long but it is finally finished. If you were paying attention when I announced my 2009 goals, you will know that I still have 6 more things to finish by the end of the year. At this pace, I will never get them done. How do you keep your stitching mojo going????

3 comments:

Front Range Stitcher said...

First, what a fun visit with your stitchy friend. Congratulations on finishing Day One. I think stitching mojo can come and go,it happens to all of us. When it goes and I want it to return, I have to take a small step towards making that happen. Not look at the entire project before me, just focus on a small section or color. Promise 2 thread lengths will go in daily and voila, before you know it you've inspired yourself right back into your stitching mojo. Blogging about what I'm stitching really has enabled me to keep the mojo going too; I feel obligated in a sense and I have stitched more in the past year than I ever have. A win win for me. For my budget, not so much! LOL Good luck Kelly. Madonna

Kelly said...

Thanks Madonna for your helpful words (and for visiting Ortville). I have felt guilty for blogging about non-stitching related things lately. Hopefully the mojo will stay with me for awhile. I think my next project will be something that is more whimsical and not necessarily on the list. That should help kickstart my stitching.

Cyn said...

Hi Kelly,

Congratulations on finishing #1!

How do I keep stitching?

Well I plant my tuckus in the chair every day and pick up a needle. If it's not really working for me that day, then I play with the threads, rearrange the projects on the table, etc.

Usually if I have problems starting it's because my mind is whirling with everything going on that day. Just by sitting there and moving things around gets me interested again.

Then again, sometimes that's all that I do. Move things around as I'm too tired to stitch!

On other days I'll have someone (children or DH) talking to me and it's all I can do to just move things around as I need to concentrate on the conversation. Though teens will talk more if your hands are busy with something else. Then you aren't concentrating on them so much. Every notice how if you say let's talk everyone clams up but if the hands are busy the mouths start talking? LOL!!!

Okay, now go pick up something else to stitch!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow