Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Needlepoint worthy

I don't know about ya'll but I do alot of thinking and problem solving when I am stitching - especially if it is just basketweave. If my mind is spinning or I am fretting over something - stitching will settle me down and help me put things into perspective.

One of the things that I have thinking about during my marathon tooth fairy pillow stitching sessions is needlepoint worthiness. My buddy, MJ, and I have talked about this topic alot. Some people in this world are needlepoint worthy and others are not. Those who are "worthy" realize how much time, energy, expense, love, sweat and tears go into a project. These same folks appreciate your efforts and cherish the fact that you took the time to stitch for them. Then, there are the those folks that just don't get it. They don't understand that you did this project just for them and what all was involved in the production of this pillow, picture, purse, etc. I, unfortuately, have stitched for both types of people. Needless to say, the needlepoint worthy ones have gotten additional stitchy items from me. The ones who have been deemed "not worthy", due to a lack of appreciation for the first stitchy item, have never gotten another stitching related thing.

The one thing that has kept me going on this tooth fairy pillow is the knowledge that this gift will DEFINITELY be appreciated and that it will cherished by my very needlepoint worthy nephew and his lovely wife.

I follow alot of your blogs and I know that several of you stitch for friends and family. Do you ever encounter people that are not appreciative of your talents? What do you do when you realize that they really weren't needlepoint worthy?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are definitely people who get more than one needlepoint gift...and others who never get one at all or after the first will not be getting one again. I am not putting all that time/effort into something that the recepient just doesn't get. On those that get only one gift, I have never said anything to them, but I know at least one figured out they were cut from my list....I laughed at that one because the project that disappeared for a couple of years, suddenly reappeared in a prominent space just before a visit.

Kelly said...

Hi MNStitcher - thanks for visiting Ortville and for your great comment. I loved the part about the project reappearing in a prominent spot years later. At least they "get it" now. Like you, I never say anything to the ones that don't appreciate the gift but I quickly add them to my not worthy list.

MeganH said...

Hello,
I was just at Chilly Hollow, and clicked on your blog coz it's such a clever name - and read this post.
I SO agree.
I did 2 Long and Short stitch (Trisha Burr) projects of approx 6 months each length for my two best girlfriends.
Suprisingly, the artistic one appreciates the gift less. But the less artistic one adores her present, and has had it expensively framed even tho she can barely afford it.
I don't know, having done it, if I'll ever do that long a project for someone else, whether they love it or not, again. After a year of stitching for other people, I really REALLY needed to stitch for myself!

Kelly said...

Hi Elmsley Rose - welcome to Ortville. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting. I'm sorry your one friend wasn't appreciative of your amazing gift. Thank goodness the other friend was more than worthy!